Tuesday, October 2, 2007

THING 23 -- MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

I am so glad I was able to participate in Maryland 23. This program gave me the opportunity to explore technologies I was aware of and heard about but never fully comprehended. While I am by no means a master of the 23, I do feel a sense of familiarity with these names and will definitely not be afraid to continue exploring.
I think the funnest exploration was the fun with widgets and You Tube. There is just too much time wasting potential contained on those sites. Of most practical value was Zoho Writer and the RSS feeds. Zoho Writer is a great document site and has multiple templates available for use. Learning about RSS feeds was really interesting. I'm not 100% sure that I like this method of searching, but I can see where it would be useful to monitor specific searches.
This program has contributed to my lifelong learning goals and has made me recognize the need to stay current especially in our profession. It wa a great way to learn but have fun also. I certainly never thought I'd have a blog to call my own.
I think the program was very well organized. I appreciated the updates and reminders and the drop in sessions at North Point. For those people who weren't able to make the sessions, it might have been good to have the tips which were available as handouts available online. I know there were tips on Ellen's blog, but perhaps each sheet could have been linked to the specific "Thing" and "Discovery Exercise." I know the time offered was plenty to successfully complete the program. I'm just one of those procrastinators who loves deadline extensions.
I would participate in a program such as Maryland 23. It gave me an organized and goal-oriented plan to peruse technologies which are the future of librarianship. It also allowed for interaction and discussion with colleagues regarding these developing trend. Thanks for all your hard work to make this such a success.

No comments: