Sunday, September 30, 2007

THING 15

I was worried about this assignment, because I thought that some of the discussion would be talking about things which I didn't know about and didn't understand. That is why I found Rick Anderson's article about the icebergs in library 2.0 to be so interesting. Even though he is in an academic environment, his language and presentation was simple and down to earth. Further, the icebergs he cautioned about are things that I think we are facing currently in the public library environment. The "just in case collection" is something which is on the minds of some BCPL librarians as floating collections becomes a reality. This kind of mental change is difficult, but librarians need to embrace these new ideas in order to continue to be relevant. I enjoyed reading Dr. Wendy Schultz's vision of the future of libraries. I think her ideas are fun and important, but the idea of meditation and relaxation in a public library seems quite unlikely! To me Library 2.0 means embracing all ideas for the future of the library. Thinking about the library as a repository for print material is a stale way of describing the library and all ideas should be discussed and all technologies incorporated to better serve more demandig and aware customers.

No comments: