Sunday, September 30, 2007

THING 16

I have used wikipedia, always with the knowledge that the authorship can be unknown and unreliable. However, I think generally wikis are a great concept an allow for multiple users to comment and add information to topics. While the potential for vandalism and error is there, I noticed in my exploration that some wikis, like the Library Successes, A Best Practices Wiki now requies e-mail verification before permitting posting. I think wikis should definitely be utilized by a public library for a variety of purposes -- such as readers' advisory or book club support as used by the Princeton Public Library, or to promote a specific event like the ALA did for its 2006 conference. Perhaps we could use a wiki in some fashion to enhance the Summer Reading program.

No comments: